Wednesday, April 2, 2014

10 Things I Love

It is once again no longer Monday, plus I forgot to do it last week, BUT I want to keep up this tradition (as well as continue to write in this blog despite still acclimating to my new life).

1)



Beach bonfires

I had SO MUCH FUN the other night at our beach bonfire! You're allowed to drive up onto the beach, park, and make a bonfire LEGALLY (opposite of the many illegal bonfires made on California beaches in my time). We gossiped around the fire, drank sangria and vodka, frolicked in the water, and accidentally stepped in some tar balls that still haven't come off my feet.

2)





Bioluminescence

As we frolicked in the water around midnight, I noticed bright specks of glowing blue and screeched, "BIOLUMINESCENCE!!!" I splashed them onto my legs so I could see them better, tossing them into the air like tiny crystalline bursts of fireworks. I ran through the waves, practically swimming in them (due to possible high amounts of alcohol in my blood), and giggling madly as I weaved in and out of my friends, sprinting through the water. I loved it. And I'm excited for many summer nights involving the same thing.

3)



Game nights

We had a Settlers of Catan game night! During our beach bonfire, we all drunkenly reminisced about playing Settlers of Catan and agreed to get together and play it the next night, however I soon realized that I have never actually played the game. I just assumed I had played it because my family is obsessed with it and they always play it. It is complicated as shit. I set up settlements along green valleys and woodlands and basically hoarded sheep the entire game. Whenever people tried to steal my resource cards, there was approximately a 67% chance that they would get a sheep (or a shoop, as I explained my whole theory regarding sheep vs. shoops at the beginning of the game). But it was still super fun and we ate dinosaur chicken nuggets for dinner and I lost spectacularly, but I had a lot of sheep.

4)



Exploring natural history museums

On my day off last week, Jess and I decided we were going to head downtown and do something touristy. We ended up at a cafe at the art museum for some lunch and mimosas, and then realized we didn't want to look at art and instead walked over to the natural history museum. It was...interesting. It was more of a human history plus a tiny bit of natural history museum, and there was A LOT of history to talk about. There was a cool shipwreck exhibit about the ships from Spain that went down off the coast a little south of here, exhibits about the western cultures, about old school regal peeps of Corpus, etc. It got a little overwhelming. The natural history portion was hilarious because you could tell everything was labelled and exhibits created in the '70s and nothing has been updated since then. The rock exhibit reminded me of my favorite Shell Shop. The Sandhill Crane pictured above was possibly one of my favorite parts of the museum; his name was Bonaparte and he lost his legs in a coyote trap. Luckily, someone found him and a scientist researched how to create bionic legs for the crane. She DID it! Those weird plastic things are his ROBOT LEGS. Eventually, Bonaparte died of a heart attack. Magnificent. After the museum, Jess and I got salads and soup and drank peach vodka/iced tea while watching American Idol and it was glorious.

5)



Awesome cover bands

There's a really cool bar downtown called The Executive Surf Club. I went there for trivia a couple of weeks ago, and last week I headed out on a Tuesday night (my Saturday) to watch a live band play. It was AWESOME! They played 80s and 90s rock covers, and A LOT of The Police. Our friend was super into it plus quite drunk because it was $2 pint night, so he danced around us and sang to the songs, which was hilarious.

6)



Training our River Otter

I've been able to start doing some training with our River Otter so I can start doing sessions when other people are busy, plus I really want to learn because OMG RIVER OTTER!! His name is Merlin and he is so cuuute!!! We worked on "station", "hammock", "stump", and "come here", which are all simple outdoor commands. I love it.

7)



Birdwatching

I LOVE birdwatching. Like I've mentioned before, it's basically like my crack. I get super excited about the prospect of seeing a new species of bird, or identifying something difficult such as a vireo or warbler. I went birding on my "weekend" last week at the Suter Wildlife Reserve and unfortunately didn't really see any new species except for some waterfowl that I've seen maybe once before, which was still pretty cool. I saw Roseate Spoonbills, Reddish Egrets, and Caspian Terns for the first time in the wild which was awesome! Plus it was just a really nice, beautiful walk. I am looking forward to spring migration craziness and seeing different types of warblers! One of our volunteers who is an avid birder told me about a couple of places in Port Aransas that are good for birdwatching so I hope to make it out there soon!

8)



Taking dogs for a walk

I'm petsitting right now for a coworker and am taking her dog on walks every day (well except today, whoops). There is an adorable park nearby her where kids play kickball and baseball in semi-official diamonds alit with giant stadium lights as the sun sets, later each and every day. There is a field filled with cacti and then a hiking path lining a river. It is an amazing walk and reminds me of spring as the sun sets behind us.

9)



Congratulatory brownies

Elise, the new vet tech Laura, and I all had a potluck at Elise's house the other day where Elise provided food, I provided drinks/alcohol, and Laura brought over brownies decorated with "Congratz", birds, and fish in honor of our new "grown up" jobs. They were awesome and basically I love sugar.

10)



Firefly

I love this show. We watched it while playing Settlers of Catan and I would get visibly distracted from the game to watch this show despite seeing it a thousand times. It's just SO GOOD. If you've never seen it before, watch it. It's on Netflix.

This past week was awesome, complete with ice hockey, sangria, angry high-beam battles, hot tubbing, new york style pizza, mini cocker spaniels, playing in the ocean, cat cuddles, receiving new/old shoes in the mail plus an amazing handmade card from my BFFL, and hanging out with my new franz, and even though it's my sunday it has still been a great, chill day. Time to attempt catching up in my written journal before bed. Fare thee well!

No comments:

Post a Comment