Thursday, January 5, 2017

National Bird Day





When I was little I wanted to be a wolf and thought little to nothing about birds. But I did obsess over a particular book at my Oma's house about eggs and stare at glossy photos of emus and albatross. And I smugly answered that a specific species of bird built its nest on the ground in Yellowstone National Park while on a tour, feeling very pleased with myself when I was praised by the guide. And I adored my pet parakeets, Max and Houdini, who would play with legos and eat my corn chips. When I was fifteen I started volunteering at the local aviary and fell in love, utterly and completely. There was no turning back; I've been working with birds in some shape or form ever since. No question: I was born to be a bird nerd. I feel so blessed to be able to spend my life training, caring for, and teaching about these animals.

HAPPY NATIONAL BIRD DAY

from left to right, top to bottom: Zeppo, the green-winged macaw, Benji the american kestrel, Lola the keel-billed toucan, Luigi the harpy eagle, Kogi the military macaw, Brutus the eurasian eagle owl, a rehabbed barn owl being released, Grace the bald eagle, Maeby and Manny, the green-cheeked conure and cockatiel (my baboos)

No comments:

Post a Comment