Tuesday, December 3, 2013

8) handle an eagle

Remember back in the day when I used to have a blog and I would write in it? Me too! I am back from Wisconsin and California (I will post about that later...maybe) to the land of reliable internet! And the first thing I want to talk about is my 23 b4 24 list! I have accomplished one of the things on my list, the majestic number 8!

I HANDLED AN EAGLE.



After starting out small, handling female hawks and owls (about three pounds, max) I worked my way up to handling Turkey Vultures for long periods of time, taking them on walks (TUVUS weight about six pounds), and then finally the day came where I was able to handle this beautiful boy, Zephyr the Golden Eagle. It was magnificent.









I've never handled an eagle before, the extent of my experience until I worked at the Audubon Center was getting yelled at by them when I walked past their mews and then again when I cleaned their mews. Then I got yelled at some more by Woody, our resident Bald Eagle at ACNW, and also (I'd like to think) lovingly footed by him. Multiple times. Once in the finger. But now I've also handled one, and it feels awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment