Monday, October 27, 2014

halloweek 2014: days 1 & 2

My tradition of Halloweek has stuck for the past few years! That's really saying something considering I change up what I do all the time, but not in regards to TRADITION!



Sorry, you don't actually have to watch all seven minutes of that. So far this October, though not fall-like AT ALL considering I live real close to Mexico and I went to the beach on October 1st, has been FANTASTIC. I am surprised at how much I miss Utah, what with the beautiful change of colors in the mountains and the Rocky Horror Picture Show being played at the Tower, BUT I've still been forcing my Halloweenie ideals onto the people of Texas.

On the night of September 30th, I decorated our apartment after Elise went to bed like some sort of morbid Halloween fairy, including placing streamers in ill-conceived places where they could constantly fling themselves out the door. I also spent an embarrassing amount of money on Halloween decorations at Target (curse you, Target!) Combining the new decorations with my usual Nightmare Before Christmas decor I have up in my room ANYWAYS and my apartment was totally Halloween-afied! Yes, it's a word. No, don't try to look it up.

So far this October I've been watching spooky movies like The Addams Family (thank you, Netflix!), Blood Glacier (a fantastically terrible horror movie about mutations evolving from a blood-like substance leaking from a glacier due to climate change, IT'S REAL, PEOPLE), Phantom of the Opera (my teenaged guilty pleasure), the new Carrie (meh, the old one is def better), and am looking forward to watching A LOT MORE! I still need to, of course, watch Nightmare Before Christmas as well before October 31st is gone (I don't know if I'll be watching it on Halloween considering I have a hoppin' party to go to!).

I spent the first day of Halloweek compiling a Halloween Photo Scavenger Hunt, based on one that I found from another blogger and based on what I wanted to take photos of because I'm a cheater. I went for a walk with my roommate and her dog and took some photos of the neighborhood, where I luckily found some of the photos I was looking for! We'll see if I can complete it by the time Halloween is over!

On day 2 of Halloweek, I had a pumpkin carving party! I love pumpkin carving parties! I threw myself in the car after changing into a holiday appropriate zombie-referencing shirt following work and went on an epic journey for decent pumpkins. I've had some issues in the past finding some good ones close enough to Halloween to ensure they don't rot and shrivel on the porch before the main event, but luckily the local grocery store had some nice ones with beautiful curly stems. I still look forward to the day when I can go to a real pumpkin patch, but for now store-bought pumpkins will work. My mam genes also shone through and she possessed me to purchase chips and candy for my guests, despite my invite reading "BYOP. AND BYOB. OR BYOV (vodka)." Sooo I caved and got snacks because inside my heart I am a hostess, even though I rarely act like it. Halloween brings it out in me. So I bought some pumpkins, my favorite $1 disposable tablecloths for easy cleanup, and picked up some sandwiches before heading home to set-up. I put on my playlist of spooky tunes (my favorite) so we could jam out while carving (here is a song I'm really loving right now) and we got to work. I ended up carving a SURPRISE owl. I wanted to try employing the shaving technique again, since I did that last year with my turkey vultures, and I did end up doing it...but it didn't turn out exactly as I had envisioned it. Still, it looks awesome lit up.



(mine is on the far left)



More pictures to come of Halloweek! For now this is my Friday so I'm off to watch a scary movie with Raphael, possibly drink some more, and write some letters to BFFs!! Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment