Thursday, December 15, 2011

soup soup soup

A couple of weeks ago, Lisa made us a delicious soup for our Guy Fawkes Party. I asked her for the recipe and made it last night and now I am going to share it WITH THE INTERNET (though it's adapted from somewhere I'm not sure where).

I was going to try and come up with a clever name for it based on V for Vendetta (since that's the movie we watched while we ate it), but I can't because my brain still needs to recover from finals, so I will call it Tortellini Soup for now.

Ingredients

* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 2 carrots , chopped (or 20 baby carrots)
* 1 large onion , finely chopped
* 1l vegetable stock (about 3 4 oz cans)
* 400g can chopped tomatoes
* 1 can of green beans
* 2-3 sticks of celery, sliced thin
* 250g pack fresh filled tortellini
* handful of basil leaves (optional)
* grated parmesan , to serve

I want to apologize because I made the soup at night, indoors, where lighting is relatively...bad. So a lot of the pictures have poor resolution. I wanted to be all cool like Crepes of Wrath or Pioneer Woman and make a step-by-step recipe complete with pictures, but mine are not nearly as beautiful as theirs. But I did it anyways.



Here's a full picture of all the ingredients, minus the tomatoes and olive oil. Also the vodka does not go into the soup, it goes into my mouth.

First, you want to chop up the carrots, onion, and celery really well.



Then saute them with the tbsp of olive oil until all the veggies are soft, which takes about 10 minutes.





Once all the veggies are soft and sizzly, you pour in the vegetable broth and tomatoes (and basil leaves, if you're using them). Bring the heat down to simmer and allow to simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes.



Add the green beans and tortellini and let the tortellini cook for about 10 minutes, until they're done.



It's done!



It took me an embarrassingly long time to chop all those vegetables, but other than that it is a fairly quick and easy meal. Also it was delicious. I've only recently become a soup person, but I'm glad I am now because soup is the perfect cold weather food.

Also we decorated our Christmas tree last night so I will post pictures of that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment