Tuesday, February 18, 2014

More photos from my California trip, this time of Traci and Scott's house and the Monterey Bay Aquarium!
















  • Little finches in their homemade cage at Traci and Scott's house

  • Their little chirrups woke me up in the morning as the sun rose and their red heat lamp lit my room at night. It was cozy

  • Willie, their orange tabby, is constantly asking to go outside if he's inside, and inside if he's outside

  • He wants outside

  • Color in winter

  • Rabbits in the garden

  • Monterey Bay Aquarium!

  • Baby Bat Ray that I freaked out over

  • Art made out of plastic; a representation of plastic pollution in our oceans

  • An albatross made from plastic; 97.5% of Laysan Albatross chicks have stomachs full of plastic because that's what their parents can find to feed them

  • Sea turtles mistake plastic bags for jellyfish and accidentally eat them, causing them to die. This exhibit was incredibly important and had great information, but displayed it in such a way to not "frighten people off"; they combined art and words of warning to send a message and I loved it

  • I know her!!! My aunt posing next to one of her photos taken for this exhibit because of her lovely, expressive face

  • Portable moon jellies

  • This picture reminds me of a pin-up. Apparently, she got drunk before taking the shot because she was so nervous about it

  • A diving auklet

  • A common murre shakin' it out

  • I love catching photos of animals with their mouths open

  • What do you see down there?

  • Pretty auklet

  • Just keep swimming

  • One of the Einstein sisters in the Outer Bay tank

  • Turtle silhouette

  • A mola, or sunfish. Giant, weird half-fish with amazing expressions and brains the size of a lima bean, I love them

  • Sardines

  • Mahi Mahi, or dolphinfish

  • My favorite picture from the entire weekend

  • Fascinated

  • "Swim away!"

  • Hammerhead shark

  • Fish have the best little faces

  • A pod of air dolphins

  • Jellies

  • Tidepools

  • Cormorant Rock

  • Angry fish

  • Humpback replica

  • This color is fantastic, I took this picture specifically for Megan

  • The Kelp Forest

  • More fish (it was an aquarium, after all)

  • Alien fish

  • A teeny fish who wanted to say hello

  • Red on blue

  • Watching Scott feed the sunfish; they're trained to target these floating balls that they think provide them magically with food. Squid is then dropped into their waiting mouths

  • Harbor Seal Beach

  • A bird on a rock

  • Filtered light

  • Kelp Forest tank

  • If that isn't a stoked sunfish, I don't know what is

  • Common Antlantic Octopus

  • Scott taught us about jellyfish

  • Stop! Hammertime!

  • A beautiful case of pink-eye

  • Feeding/enrichment time for Gidget and Pup 69

  • My favorite, most beautiful seabird of all time, Makana

  • She was so demure and flirted with us the entire time, sky-mooing and whistling

  • Jellyfish are amazing

  • So beautiful

  • Hi, cutie ♥

  • So adorable

  • Upside-down jellyfish

  • Contrast

  • I literally could not find my way out of this room

  • Touch pool

  • Close encounters

  • Pink

  • A field of sea nettles

  • Listening to their words

  • Pacific Octopus suckers

  • Underwater truffula trees



I still have pictures of birds and seals (two of my favorite groups of animals), but I figure this is a pretty picture-laden post already.

Tonight I went with my mom and aunt to an event called Paint Nite where an artist taught us how to paint an owl at a local bar called Zest. I ordered way too many lavender lemonade martinis (omg so good) and got real drunk while painting a multi-colored owl. It was AMAZING.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Monteray Aquarium and especially the jellies!
    Have you visited our Salt Lake area aquarium? I haven't gotten there yet, but we have only lived in Ut/SLC for five years...so much to see here.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that aquarium so much! My favorite area is the shorebird exhibit! I have visited the SLC aquarium when it was just a tiny room in the Gateway Mall and then again when it was in Sandy inside an old arts and crafts store, but now it's moving to Draper into its very own building, which should be opening some time this year! I'm super excited to see it! There are definitely so many things in SLC to see, I'm glad you guys are enjoying yourselves!

      Thanks so much :)

      Delete