Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Ten Things I Love Monday

I missed it last week because I was too busy traveling to Corpus Christi, Texas! Texas was definitely a life state.

1)



I. GOT. A. JOB. Not just a job though, a full-time, benefitted career that is exactly what I want to do. I am now a trainer/educator for the wild flight bird show at the Texas State Aquarium. I kind of want to cry, basically, I am so so happy about it.

2)





These photos of some of the animals I've worked with made me teary eyed, especially in light of my new job. Storm (the top photo) is such an adorable, lovely bird who was so good (I wrote a lot about her in my superb owl post), and Spike (bottom photo) made me realize that I can deal with mammals, too. Not just birds. And I never thought I could love a porcupine so much ♥

3)







We went out for a super fancy dinner on Sunday night to a restaurant up the canyon called Log Haven. I went ballroom dancing there once in a blizzard, and now I returned to clink champagne glasses with my family in congratulations for our achievements: anniversaries, new jobs, promotions, and great scores on math tests.

4)





Designing homemade valentines was one of my goals for this year, and I'm glad I designed some I really loved! My next goal would be to make them actually "real", like maybe paint them with watercolors.

5)



So cute!

During my visit to the Texas State Aquarium for my interview last week, I spent a lot of time watching their two dolphins swimming around their tank (I struggle with this a little bit, but I'll leave it be for now). I still find that dolphins bring me a lot of joy just by existing, and of course playing with their toys!

6)



Hotel rooms with balconies overlooking the ocean. When I arrived in Corpus Christi at eleven at night, I just wanted to get to my hotel, watch TLC, and crash. However, I was CRAZY HOT. I felt super overheated, which I think was due to my excitement/nervousness, and thought I was going to pass out. Once I got to my room, I was pleased to see I had a sliding glass door that I opened to let in some cool air. I was even MORE pleased aka ecstatic to find it was overlooking THE OCEAN. I stood outside, relishing the refreshing air (it had been raining) and listening to the waves as I let my core cool. I then retreated inside to watch TLC for an hour and fall asleep to the sound of waves lapping at the shore.

7)





Visiting Bird World with my mom! Bird World is a pet store located north of Salt Lake City that Natal and I used to frequent. The staff knew us and allowed us to play with the birds, who we cuddled and cooed at as they climbed all over our sweatshirts and preened our hair. One of my favorite visits was when there was a baby Goffin's Cockatoo :') Also when there were baby Blue-Fronted Amazons, I fell in love. It's hard to go and not come home with one million birds. However, I hadn't been there since I was last there with Natal which was A LONG time ago, so Mom and I went to play with the birds! Unfortunately there were not many babies (except for conures, who are still adorable), but there was a beautiful little female Eclectus and we did cuddle some bunnies and I found some amazing bird toys/perches/playstands (I'm going back to buy one...)

8)



For my Dad's birthday, I painted him a wine glass at Color Me Mine. I made it blue and green and wrote Dad's Special Medicine on it. Basically I'm pretty proud of it.

9)



Margaritas. What else is there to say? This was my drink of choice during my trip to Corpus Christi.

10)



I've been watching The Walking Dead and wow it is addictive. I get bored with the whole "mankind struggling against itself thing" but it is still pretty ominous and good at making me want to watch more! I'm just a quarter of the way through season 2.


Honorable Mentions

-perusing record stores
-petting dogs
-coffee and vegan blueberry muffins on a gloomy day
-giant paintbrushes
-flirty waiters
-heat lamps/personal heaters

No comments:

Post a Comment