Thursday, February 20, 2014

.tea.

I've never been one of those huge tea drinkers, like a faithful always-have-tea-in-the-morning-because-I-hate-coffee types of people, but I do like tea and different types remind me of different times in my life.



English Breakfast tea overflowing with milk and sugar reminds me of Cleo's old pioneer house with the green exterior, the huge kitchen filled with plants and overflowing cupboards, and her attic room that spanned the entire house, devoid of air conditioning and filled with the memories of teenaged sleepovers. It reminds me of rainy days and listening to Suzanne Vega, eating homemade grilled cheese sandwiches and dancing around the kitchen. It reminds me of watching movies from the library, Studio Ghibli or Wes Anderson films, and talking an exorbitant amount to the TV.

Instant iced tea, the kind where you pour cold water over a lipton tea bag and only have to wait minutes for it to seep, reminds me of summer. It reminds me of lounging on a blanket in the backyard with a glass, reading a book with Winston cuddled next to me. It reminds me of sitting out on the pontoon with my "hot dog cup" filled to the brim with ice-cubes and lipton, reading a book or magazine and taking photos of the lake. It reminds me of summer and spring afternoons spent at Nostalgia, studying, writing in my journal, or playing SET with my friends.

Earl Grey with honey in it reminds me of Cleo's house near the park, where tea was served on a tray with slices of homemade cake. It reminds me of watching Japanese horror movies and Gone with the Wind and playing with Olivia, her little sister. It reminds me of painting the mailbox with a whale on it and "save the people". It reminds me of light filtering through blanketed windows and black bean quesadillas.

Herbal tea reminds me of being sick. It reminds me of subtle peach flavors, swathing myself in blankets, and watching endless amounts of Netflix as I surround myself in kleenex and Dayquil.

This post has been brought to you by the herbal tea and the sickness accompanying it
:( I had someone take my shift today, which is too bad since I only have two more days at this job anyway. Oh well, time to rest up and watch Bridezillas (trashy TV is my favoriteeee).



(images from weheartit.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment